Friday, December 13, 2013

Step out of the boat

  I am so ready for summer. Our family loves to fish, camp, and hang out at the beach. Being on the water is one of my favorite places to be. The funny thing is I am so scared when it comes to actually getting in the water. I always worry about what is in the water that I can’t see, what if something bites or stings me, or what if a wave pulls me under and I can't get to the surface.
  I am reminded of the story of Peter in the Bible. Matthew 14:25-33 - And in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went unto them, walking on the sea. And when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, It is a spirit; and they cried out for fear. But straightway Jesus spake unto them, saying, Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid. And Peter answered him and said, Lord, if it be thou, bid me come unto thee on the water. And he said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus. But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me. And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt? And when they were come into the ship, the wind ceased. Then they that were in the ship came and worshipped him, saying, Of a truth thou art the Son of God.
  Our spiritual walk can be scary because it requires us to step out into what we can't always see or not knowing exactly how it will all work out, just like Peter, it requires faith. I am the kind of person that likes to have everything in perfect order. I like to always know what to expect next. But God doesn't work that way. If He told us everything from A – Z we would never build our faith and trust in Him.
  The amazing thing about this story is even when Peter had fear and doubt and began to sink; Jesus reached out His hand and saved Him. Sometimes when we step out of the boat we might fall but if we never step out of the boat we will never give Jesus a chance to save us.
  So today ask yourself what Jesus is asking you to do, then take the step and do it. You will not regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment